Sunday, April 01, 2007

Black cinema?

Someone gave me a gift voucher for HMV, so this afternoon I went to the big Oxford Street branch looking for a DVD to buy with it. I noticed that whoever is distributing The Exorcism of Emily Rose has some rather strange ideas about target markets. The only quote they had found for the box was: ‘Absolutely Bloody Terrifying’ – Nuts.
Stranger than this, however, was that in this particular store, a section has been created recently for “Black cinema.” I suppose that in the abstract, I can imagine some plausible argument in favour of this, but when it comes down to it, it seems less than sensible to take Hotel Rwanda, Boyz n the Hood and Little Man and put them together in a section of their own. But on a closer look, it gets even weirder: also in this section are 8 Mile (Eminem’s biopic by any other name), City of God (the one about gangs in Rio) and Sister Act, with Whoopi Goldberg. Tenuous in the extreme, or am I missing something?
Once again, I’d love to know what kind of ‘target market’ they had in mind…

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if "Dambusters" was included.

You'll get it eventually!

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Jay said...

I saw Men in black 2 in the wood green branch.
Black Cinema, Really???
Makes no sense at all?

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home