Sunday, January 30, 2005

Cheney in Auschwitz

Not much notice in the British press, but the US media followed the Washington Post's (nb: free reg. required) lead in reporting that Dick Cheney decided to dress rather casually at Auschwitz, in comparison to the other world leaders present. I wouldn't usually bring it up at all, but it did occur to me that when I visited Sachenhausen near the German-Czech border 3 years ago(and learned that not all history can be read in books) I was in very similar attire (mid-february on the central European plain; very, very cold). Well no one had a go at me for dressing so "casually", and I don't think it took away from my experience. If you think about it, wouldn't it have been worse for Cheney to buy the traditional east-European attire (fur hat, big overcoat, big black boots) just so that he could look "smart" for the occasion? If what you're wearing is what occupies you when visiting a Nazi concentration camp, then it seems to me, you cannot have been paying attention.
This seems like an instance of the media having to cover a story, but having nothing really to say, and just coming up with inconsequential nonsense. You can argue this doesn't make much difference to anyone, but honestly, things of significance are happening at the moment. And they aren't in the papers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home