Thursday, June 05, 2008

More Russia

The only thing I forgot to bring with me here was a watch. Since I don't use my phone here, and didn't bring the charger, I need something to wake me up in the morning. So I went looking for one... the cheapest digital watch with an alarm which I could find, on a market, was 100 roubles. It's a 'talking' one that tells you the time (in Russian, occasionally incorrectly) when you press a button on the front. The alarm sound is like a cock crowing "cockadoodledooo". It's fantastic.

Yesterday I was at the opening of a small exhibition of Impressionist paintings which Christie's have brought over in advance of an auction. A couple of wicked Magritte pieces were included, which apparently were the bargain items at only half a million quid each.

For considerably less money than that, I've procured tickets for Uncle Vania, The Cherry Orchard, and Tchaikovsky's opera of Evgenii Onegin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

What's that - 25 million roubles? If they are going to buy and sell quality merchandise like that they might want to think about 'doing a Czeckoslovakia' and knocking a few 0s off the currency. Mind you, if talking watches are only 100 roubles...

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home