Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pictures

At last I have managed to upload some pictures. Hurray!
Click for bigger versions, but be warned - they are 2-3 MBs each.

The gigantic war memorial on Moskovskaia Prospekt commemorating the seige of Leningrad (constructed by volunteers). Note also the 21-story apartment blocks either side.


'Samson and the Lion' - the centrepiece of Peterhof's 'Grand Cascade'. Celebrates Russia's victory over Sweden in 1730:


Palace Square (as seen from an open window of the Hermitage):


Lenin Statue (around Moscovskaia Square)


Church of the Saviour on the Spilled Blood:


That took ages. More soon.

7 Comments:

Blogger Handsome B. Wonderful said...

Gorgeous. I'm jealous. :)

7:49 PM  
Blogger The Fitz said...

Nice pics. I think you can reduce the size of those pics.... you can resize them in paint. Though I reckon that even though it says JPEG, its not compressed the same. You need to go to paint, then go "save as". Though you probably know this. Anyway, have fun.

2:08 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Muff

9:55 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

More seriously, though, the picture of real interest and significance is the first. I mean, compare and contrast with Haussmann. Amazing, really.

10:01 PM  
Blogger UK plc said...

James - thanks. Good to hear from you again. Hopefully I'll be able to check out your blog (which I've been neglecting) when I get back

Russell - A good deal needs to be done - cropping as well as resizing. Again, when I get back...

Jim - I think you're right, and some other photos I've taken only reinforce the point (may upload some next week), although I've never actually been to Paris myself...

2:14 PM  
Blogger stellito said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:35 AM  
Blogger stellito said...

this google/blogger partnership has ruined my life and made it impossible for me to leave comments without having to appear to self-censor. bah.

there's no mystery: i was just going to write that i'm jealous. :)

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home