Sunday, July 08, 2007

Touristy

We have spent the weekend in museums. Yesterday, the Russian Museum (which exhibits Russian art from icons up to about 1950) and today the Ethnographic Museum (which was created as a display of the cultural diversity of the various peoples of the Soviet Union). Both museums are so overflowing with fantastic displays that they left us exhausted.
I have managed to procure a poster of Briullov's excellent 'The Last Days of Pompeii' (unfortunately, the picture below cannot do justice to this gigantic painting).

I have also found a shop selling old Soviet posters for a reasonable price (about 7 Pounds each) and will likely procure one. I will also go vodka shopping this week. Anyone who wants something brought back from Russia and hasn't told me so yet should get in touch. I can accomodate at least two or three further requests.
Finally, I am very excited that there is an ongoing mini-series about the life of Nestor Makhno on Russian TV. Makhno was the leader of a Ukranian peasant-anarchist movement in the Russian civil war, which I studied for my undergraduate dissertation a year ago. Very exciting. Unfortunately it is apparently a 12-part series, with one episode a week, and we are only here for 6. And our Russian skills are coming along so well that we can almost understand the newsreaders, who somehow talk at about 4 times the pace of anybody else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Am I included on the rosta? Can't remember what we said.
j

9:49 PM  
Blogger UK plc said...

Yes - vodka for you. I still haven't been to the special vodka shop yet. I plan to find something there. If not, it will be a bottle of the plain, but good stuff (i.e. better than Stolichnaya) that we have been drinking here.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Cool. Cheers bro.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home